Monday, September 13, 2010

A "glimmer of inquiry"

I vaguely recall reading an article for a qualitative research class during my undergrad that examined the state of the field known as ‘international studies’ (what I was studying at the time). The article described the dominant schools of thought in the field by analyzing the content of articles published in the top so-called ‘international studies’ journals. Long story short, the findings of the study helped me to situate myself, and the field I was studying, in the often-messy knowledge economy. This in itself had great value to me. 

Similarly, I think it would be interesting to explore the state of the “information sciences” and the phenomenon of the ischool.  In step with the writing-to-think process outlined in Knight (2002), it is useful to capture such “glimmers of inquiry” through private writings such as this since they compel us to think more systematically (a cornerstone of academic research). I have some preliminary thoughts on formulating a research question that would narrow down this “glimmer” into something more viable, however, in keeping with the 175word max.      

1 comment:

  1. I think your idea seems quite interesting. Being a museum studies student I think it would be interesting, when looking at the phenomenon of the ischool, to incorporate the fact the the ischool at the University of Toronto is the only information program to have museum studies alongside information studies in the faculty. I wonder what implications, if any, this has on the "state of the information sciences" as you put it. I am intrigued to read more as your research progresses.

    ReplyDelete